Maths is an exciting and challenging subject, aiming to develop your understanding of maths and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment. You will extend your maths skills and techniques and be able to recognise how a real-life situation may be represented mathematically.
Maths: You will need GCSE Maths at least grade 6 or B.
Learning & Assessment
Modules / Topics
Pure Mathematics Content
- Topic 1 – Proof
- Topic 2 – Algebra and functions
- Topic 3 – Coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane
- Topic 4 – Sequences and series
- Topic 5 – Trigonometry
- Topic 6 – Exponentials and logarithms
- Topic 7 – Differentiation
- Topic 8 – Integration
- Topic 9 – Numerical methods
- Topic 10 – Vectors
- Topic 1 – Statistical sampling
- Topic 2 – Data presentation and interpretation
- Topic 3 – Probability
- Topic 4 – Statistical distributions
- Topic 5 – Statistical hypothesis testing
- Topic 6 – Quantities and units in mechanics
- Topic 7 – Kinematics
- Topic 8 – Forces and Newton’s laws
- Topic 9 – Moments
Trips / Visits / Enrichment
We encourage our mathematics students to take part in the UKMT Senior Maths Challenge (Individual and Team).
Paper 1: Pure Mathematics 1
Paper 2: Pure Mathematics 2
Paper 3: Statistics and Mechanics
Each paper is a 2-hour written examination worth 33.33% of the qualification
What do our students say?
I never thought I would enjoy such a challenging subject however, with all the support I received from my lecturer, I can easily say now Maths is my favourite subject.
Read Felicia Vatavu 's Story